Guardianships & Conservatorships for Minors & Incapable Adults

Call Vernon & Associates, P.C. to Learn More

About Us | Contact Us

Guardianships & Conservatorships

Do you have a family member who is incapable of making decisions regarding their health and financial affairs?

Our attorneys at Vernon & Associates, P.C. in Jamaica can help you choose a court-appointed individual or professional fiduciary designated to make personal and medical decisions, or who can handle the financial planning matters for your loved one who is unable to do so on their own. Guardianships and conservators are utilized for both minors and adults who are incapable of making sound decisions regarding their health or finances. Keep reading to learn more about this process and how our attorneys at Vernon & Associates can give you the help you need.

List Image.jpg

Why Choose an Appointed Guardian or Conservator?

  • Ensure healthcare needs are met

  • Ensure the security of an individual’s finances and financial information

  • Useful for individuals with significant cognitive disabilities

  • Manage a variety of additional services like home care, cooking, cleaning, etc.

  • Prepare your budget and medical care with a qualified person

At Vernon & Associates, P.C., We:

Icon 1.png

Advocate for Our Community

Icon 2.png

Give You the Legal Support You Need

Icon 3.png

Have More Than Two Decades of Experience

Icon 4.png

Have a Legal Team You Can Trust

Guardianships vs. Conservatorships

Guardianships and Conservatorships are utilized for children with significant cognitive disabilities who are approaching their 18th birthday. They are also utilized when an adult is no longer capable of making decisions regarding their healthcare or finances due to an illness or injury. If an adult experiences a significant medical event such as a brain injury, stroke, or with the diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, a guardian or conservator may be necessary. Keep reading to learn more about the differences between a Guardian and a Conservator, and contact Vernon & Associates, P.C. to schedule a consultation today.



An appointed guardian is responsible for the health, safety, and residential placement of a protected person. In short, a guardian is responsible for making sure the protected person is getting the care they need. This includes:

  • Medical care coordination

  • Consent to all medical procedures, including tests, surgeries, and medication

  • Residential placement based on needs and abilities

  • Additional services including home health care, cooking services, cleaning services, therapies, & nursing care

A guardian is not responsible for any needed services or medical treatments for the protected person from their own funds, nor is the guardian generally liable for the actions of the protected person.



A conservator is responsible for the protected person’s financial matters. This includes:

  • Collecting income or benefits

  • Paying bills

  • Managing financial accounts and investments

  • Budgeting

  • Preparation of taxes

A conservator is not responsible to pay for any needed services or medical treatments for the protected person from their own funds, nor is the conservator generally liable for the actions of the protected person.

Who Can Serve as Guardian or Conservator?

One person or professional fiduciary can serve as both guardian and conservator for a protected person, or different people can serve in each role. Who serves in these roles is a decision typically made between the family and their attorney based on the protected person’s estate planning documents.

Practice Areas

Schedule a Consultation Today

Our attorneys at Vernon & Associates, P.C. are ready to help you get a guardian or conservator in place for your family member or loved one. Get in touch with us today to schedule a consultation or to find out more about how we can help.

Contact Us