Practice Areas

Elder Law

Probate Law

Guardianship and Conservatorship

Our Value

With each passing year, I become more convinced that “success” as a member of the bar is measured by the contributions made to the legal profession, to improve the community and as a consequence, the greater society. To be successful, one must contribute – both professional and civically – and stand ready to extend a helping hand to make life better to those who follow

– Donald P .Vernon Esq.

Call us for a consultation today at (212) 603-9333

About Our Team


What age should I be to see an elder law attorney?

There is no minimum age to seek the advice of an elder law attorney. Elder law attorneys often address issues concerning medical conditions, disability, capacity and medical expenses, as well as traditional estate planning. These issues concern clients of all ages.

What is Estate Planning?

Estate planning is the process of anticipating and arranging, during a person’s life, for the management and disposal of that person’s estate during the person’s life and at and after death, while minimizing gift, estate, generation skipping transfer, and income tax. Estate planning includes planning for incapacity as well as a process of reducing or eliminating uncertainties over the administration of a probate and maximizing the value of the estate by reducing taxes and other expenses. The ultimate goal of estate planning can be determined by the specific goals of the client, and may be as simple or complex as the client’s needs dictate. Guardians are often designated for minor children and beneficiaries in incapacity.
The law of estate planning overlaps to some degree with elder law, which additionally includes other provisions such as long-term care.

Do I really need any planning documents?

Everyone should have a valid, comprehensively written durable power of attorney and health care proxy. Most people also need a Last Will & Testament.

When do I need a Will?

Not everyone does need a Will, but a consultation with a qualified attorney is warranted to confirm whether or not that is the case. If you have young children, a Will is necessary to nominate the proposed guardians of your children. A Will is necessary if, for example, your children are minors or perhaps lack capacity or judgment. The Will could establish a trust for the benefit of that child.

What is a Living Will?

A Living Will is a written statement that expresses your desires with regard to health care treatment if you become mentally incapable and/or physically incapable of expressing those desires. It can include, but need not be limited to, instructions concerning the termination of life support.

What is a Health Care Proxy?

A Health Care Proxy is a document which allows you to designate a person to make health care decisions for you if you cannot make them for yourself. These decisions can involve the management of your health care in order to keep you healthy. These decisions can also involve the termination of life support.

Since my family knows my wishes about artificial life support, do I need anything else?

Decisions about refusing and/or discontinuing artificial life support can be made for another person, including a spouse, only if that person has a Health Care Proxy and obtains an Order from the Court.

My child is disabled. Do Elder Law attorneys help plan for disabled children?

A large part of an Elder Law attorney’s practice consists of planning for disabled children…establishing Trusts for them, protecting and/or obtaining government benefits for them and/or seeking a Court Order appointing a Guardian for them.

I have a disabled child, should I leave him out of my Will?

A parent can provide for a disabled child without disinheriting him/her by establishing a Special Needs Trust for that child. Such a Trust provides for the child while still protecting his/her government benefits.

My accountant said I should have a Living Trust. Should I?

That depends. Everyone’s situation is different and, although I have a preference for Trusts and feel they offer many benefits, they are not for everyone.

Mom and dad have done no planning and both have Alzheimer’s Disease, how do I pay their bills?

Mom and Dad are still presumed to be competent even with a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease. As such, they should meet with an elder law attorney who will make a determination as to their mental capacity. If the attorney feels that they have sufficient capacity to sign a legal document, a Power of Attorney should be prepared and signed immediately. If the attorney finds them to lack capacity, the recourse would be to petition the Court to appoint a Guardian who can act on their behalves.

If I have money and I give it away and then go on Medicaid, am I defrauding the government?

You are not defrauding the government as long as all assets and transactions are fully and accurately disclosed with the Medicaid application. Gifting is permitted in certain circumstances. This is something that should be reviewed by a qualified elder law attorney.

If I die without a Will, will the state get everything?

If someone dies without a Will, they have died intestate. The laws of intestacy determine who inherits from the decedent. For example, if someone dies with a spouse and children, the estate is distributed fifty percent (50%) to the surviving spouse and fifty percent (50%) to the children.


"Vernon and Associates helped me with estate planning by preparing my living trust, including an advanced directive, and durable power of attorney. The attorneys did a terrific job and presented it to me in a very well organized in a binder with tabs."
Kimberly Lynn Mandel
Kimberly Lynn Mandel,Queens
"Mr. Vernon was a professional and valuable resource for our legal needs. His team held our hand throughout the whole process and we are very impressed with his detailed results. He went above and beyond and anticipated our future needs by laying out the framework for future potential legal concerns. We highly recommend him as a trusted and knowledgeable legal expert."
Lois Thomas
Lois Thomas,Queens
"What a pleasure it has been working with the Mr. Vernon and staff at Vernon and Associates. Mr. Vernon is extremely knowledgeable, professional, and compassionate and truly listens. I felt comfortable with him and confident in his skill set. I can't wait to recommend him to my friends and family. His approach to estate planning made the process understandable. I highly recommend him."
James Turner
James Turner,Bronx
90-04 161st Street, Suite 301

Jamaica, NY 11432

Phone: (212) 603-9333