Mom and dad have done no planning and both have Alzheimer’s Disease, how do I pay their bills?

Mom and Dad are still presumed to be competent even with a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease. As such, they should meet with an elder law attorney who will make a determination as to their mental capacity. If the attorney feels that they have sufficient capacity to sign a legal document, a Power of Attorney should be prepared and signed immediately. If the attorney finds them to lack capacity, the recourse would be to petition the Court to appoint a Guardian who can act on their behalves.